Monday, October 6, 2008

"Sarah-Cuda"

This was a very busy weekend for us. We got word last minute that Sarah Palin was hosting a rally at the Home Depot Center in Carson, and Sonya, who is a member of the College Republicans, volunteered for the event and was able to get us tickets.

We headed out there and upon entering the arena, were bombarded by Obama fans (I say fans because he seems to be more of a celebrity/trend/15 minutes of fame kind of guy) lining the streets. I almost ran over a photographer but didn't feel too badly about it. :)

Anyway, as we found our way in, standing right in front of our line was actor John Voight. I thought it was pretty cool given that the words Hollywood and Republican are hardly ever in the same sentence. We were able to get a quick picture!
Now in the past, I have not exhibited much, if any, interest in politics. To me it just seems like a good ol' boys club with alot of old men arguing over things and spending money. I know things get solved eventually, but it's hard to see when there is so much controversy and doubt surrounding the issues. Before you judge my interpretation of the government, read on. It gets better I promise :)

If it weren't for Puneet, I would not have passed American Government in college. Meanwhile, he practically got elected for office in that class :) He's such a smartie when it comes to all of this and I am glad that one of us is passionate about it! He has helped me to understand the misconceptions that I have had in the past and continues to educate me on new aspects and ideas. But still, I'm not going to run home and turn on Fox News or anything. Baby steps people.

With that said, I was reluctant to attend this event. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for the possibility of having a woman in the White House, but when you mention the words political fundraising event, my mind goes to screensaver and checks out.

BUT I was pleasantly surprised at how interesting this event was! When it came time for Mrs. Palin to speak, I had open ears (and I noticed how cute her black high heels were- what, I'm still a girl). :)
She really appealed to me because she spoke like a normal human being and wasn't trying to impress anyone with her mastery of the English language, or quoting every motivational "we need change" cliche. It was like 30,000 people were just hangin' out in her front room chatting. She was funny, relaxed, but real. She made several good political points that I actually understood, and gave assurance that she was not some fragile little flower that was going to bat her eyes and giggle her way into office. That kind of attitude really spoke to me. I hope it got to the ears of alot of young people that feel the same way about politics that I do.
It doesn't have to be a yelling match, or a who's who of the Senate, or even who's wearing the best red power tie (ew); Palin proved that talking about our country's future can be a positive and pleasant experience!

So there you go. This is the most political I've ever been and probably ever will be on this blog, but I thought it was important.

Here is John Voight speaking: It was quite a crowd- approximately 25,000-30,000 in attendance.

This poster says "Hilary Supporter for Sarah!"

After the rally, we ran up to see if we could get a poster signed (we couldn't). Thanks to Puneet and his go-go gadget arm, we were able to get these great close-up shots.



1 comment:

Sweet Melissa said...

I love this blog, I feel the same way you do, but I am a couple of baby steps ahead of you because I watch the Fox news channel all the time!! Hahaha!! I love what Sarah stands for and what she represents!!