Wednesday, February 25, 2009

School Days

Last week I had the awesome opportunity to take an extensive training course with Tricia Sawyer. She has been so instrumental in my makeup career and has taught me so much already, and this class just accelerated everything!

It was in Camarillo, so I called up Sonya and asked her if I could bunk with her in her dorm at Pepperdine. Oh, those dorm days. I had forgotten what it's like to carry all of your shower necessities in a plastic bag to and from the bathroom. And having toilets with nothing in front of them but a shower curtain. And the 13.7 mile walk to the caf and back. Those hills were brutal. And I am convinced that the builders challenged themselves to see how many sets of stairs they could incorportate into the campus design. Well, kudos to you- my buns and thighs were burnin'.
Sonya was the hostest with the mostest- she took me to the caf, got me Choc-o-Walla bars (a sure shot way to brighten anyone's day), and took me to get frozen yogurt after a long day of class. What a great sis!! :)

But back to makeup- I found out that my two good friends from the set of Repo Chick would also be attending- Taylor and Elaina. It was so great to get to know them better and work on our techniques.

We made trips to the 99 cent store and Goodwill during our lunches - I know, we are budget babes- and fell in love with these couches! None of us could haul them into our cars, so they stayed at the goodwill, but I don't think these pictures did it justice. It was such an awesome couch with oodles of potential. So ketchup and mustard chic.

Tricia brought in hair extensions to clip in and I got to put in the longest, Rapunzel golden locks. I felt like a blonde Cher!
Here I am trying to act like that's my real hair. So natural. ha
Here is Taylor's handy work on me: it was a vintage retro feel with super overdrawn hot pink lips.
I met some really terrific gals and we all bonded over our love of makeup. It was great to not only learn from Tricia, but to watch other artist's techniques and be in the makeup chair- a roll I am not accustomed to!
Overall, the course was amazing; I learned so much and got so much out of Tricia's lessons. She is such a natural and just watching her work in person, I gained more knoweldge than I could have in a textbook. I aspire to be as talented as she is someday, and to help out new artists just like she helped me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well you know what I think.....wooooo hoooo!!! Go Cathi!!! It looks like you all had a great time and learned a lot! Nice! Call me soon cuz we need to talk about The Makeup Show!